Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 2 :)

Wow I can't believe it is the end of day two already. I feel like I have been here for so long already because of all the different things I have experienced. Today was an incredible day. We drove up the mountains to the church that Pastor David started. It took about two and a half hours to get there. The area where the church is located is rural. When we arrived we were greeted by a few local people. We prayed for the people of the area, the Pastor and the church body. The Pastor shared with us his vision to start a school there by next year. He wants to have local teachers give of their time to teach the students and have locals make the building. This way the community is giving back to one another. As we walked around the property about half a dozen children came to play with us. We found out that one of the girls was an orphan from Port Au Prince. She is four years old and her parents died during the earthquake. A family friend adopted her and brought her to their home in the mountains. It was so much fun to play with the children and listen/watch a variety of songs and dances that they performed for us. As we sat and played with the children, in the background were men plowing the land so they could plant gardens. When we had first arrived we assumed that cattle would have plowed the land, as it was a very large space and seemed like a lot of work. We soon realized that the men all did it all by hand. My describtion does it no justice so I will post a photo of it once I get home. The men and women here work SO hard to provide for their families. I forgot to mention yesterday that the mother of Sophia's sponsor child lives in the city during the week so that she will be able to make enough money to support her family. I can't imagine leaving children at home to take care of themselves while you work countless hours to provide for them and only see them one weekends. The sacrifices that the parents here make are astounding.

Tomorrow we are going to the Pastor's church in the morning and then resting a bit in the afternoon. Our days have been full and on Monday we have to prepare for the arrival of the rest of the team.

That is all for now.
Blessings from Haiti,
Jennelle

No comments:

Post a Comment