Sunday, January 22, 2012

Human Rights

So I am taking a human rights class and as I was reading my textbook today I read "If a state consistently puts human rights or other moral concerns ahead of its basic security and economic interests, the result will be political failure." As I was reading this I was thinking to myself that basically my textbook is saying putting the welfare of human beings around the world above the state of your own country and the result will be disastrous. I understand that there is a huge economic cost to promoting human rights but is that not the point. Our world is so consumed with getting more. Instead we should be focused on GIVING more. As I was dwelling on all of this (and taking way to long on reading this chapter) I stumbled upon this verse: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16). No one has ever consistently put "human rights or other moral concerns ahead of its basic security and economic interest" than Christ, and look where He ended up: Ruler of all. King of the Universe. That doesn't seem like political failure to me. It seems like a God who loves us more than anything and took a chance on us. Will you take a chance on putting human rights and moral concern above your basic security and economic interests?

No comments:

Post a Comment