One Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this past week our team worked with an organization called Night Light. The organization focuses on building a relationship with the bar girls in the red light districts and ultimately giving them the option to be employed through them making jewelery at a fair trade cost.
Each morning we would lead morning devotions for them from 9-9:45. We shared some testimonies, sang songs, performed dances and dramas. It was a powerful time and we were able to connect with the young women in an amazing way. They ended up inviting us back on Thursday afternoon to help them create a dance that they wanted to perform at there Christmas service in a couple of weeks.
On Tuesday evening the girls from our team went to one of the red light district areas called Nana Plaza. Night Light sends leaders from their team out each week to the bars and dance clubs to build relationships with the bar girls. At first I was very nervous about going because I was unsure of what I was going to be seeing. I had already gone into the red light district area previously and saw girls in skimpy clothing and drunken men but going into a go-go bar meant I could be seeing more. I pleaded with God and told him that I would do what he wanted me to do. If he wanted me to stay back and pray I would or if he wanted me to go and talk to the women there I would. I told him what my morals were and how strict I am with what I put into my mind even though he already knew. He told me that I needed to go to Nana Plaza and that he would protect me physically, emotionally, spiritually and mentally. I was in a team of four with a leader from Night Light, my DTS leader, and a girl from another outreach team. When we walked into the bar I saw girls up on a stage dancing in bikinis and thongs. There were mirrors on every wall of the bar and the girls stared so hard into them that I thought they were going to shatter. The girls were barely dancing and were concentrating more on what they saw in the mirror and what they could change about their body. None of the women took their clothes off and I know that that was because God knew I could not handle it and he was protecting my eyes and mind. I sat with the lead of Night Light and silently prayed for the women. I looked at their beautiful faces and could see the pain and loneliness in their eyes. The leader I was with had been building a relationship with one of the bar girls and that very night I was there the leader was able to give this woman the phone number to contact Night Light about getting a job application. She had worked in the bar as a dancer for four and a half months and had been planning to quit and escape for a few weeks now but she didn't know how. There is currently no job positions available through Night Light because they can only hirer women based on the amount of money they are making through their jewelery sales. Please pray that the jewelery sales would increase so that more women could be employed. Do not feel obligated but if you would like to visit their website the web address is www.nightlightinternational.com You can read more about their ministry, read real life stories, learn how to get involved and view the jewelery and bags that are available online.
Prayer Requests:
Good health - I have been feeling sick the past few days with a very soar throat
Protection - We leave for South Africa on late Tuesday night
Team Unity - Patients and understanding with each other
No comments:
Post a Comment